Saturday, February 20, 2010

Wiggling and starting to Weave

What do you do with the information you found?
I have useful information from several sources at this point, but it's been a few days since I have been able to sit down and review it. I am beginning to evaluate content, and I have found that much of it overlaps and aligns with my assumptions and previous knowledge. I am going to map out the general key points before going into specifics for my collection. I am sifting through the stacks of articles and re-reading my highlighted points.

I have taken the first step of putting the concepts I am learning into practice. I purchased a thermometer and humidity gauge from Ace Hardware ($7) and set it up on top of the book case holding most of my collection in my living room. I am measuring the average climate, and I would also like to see the impact of cooking dinner on the overall climate of my apartment (the kitchen and living room are separated by a counter).

Before cooking (4:30pm) Temp: 68F Humidity: 28%
After cooking (5:30pm) Temp: 68F Humidity: 32%

It appears that the steam from the rice and stir fry did impact the overall humidity but not temperature in the apartment. The former is to be expected, but I am slightly surprised by the latter. As the parameters set by the Smithsonian article recommend a temperature of 70+/-4 and a humidity of 45+/-8% (Mecklenburg & Tumosa, 2003), I am within the temperature range and on the low side of humidity. I can control the temperature in the apartment with a thermostat with a four degree swing, but am not sure about humidity control.

I have also begun to identify key terms in my research. I was greatly assisted by the National Park Service article (Knapp, 1993) in defining exactly what I am aiming to do. I have been interchangeably using the terms "preservation" and "conservation" to describe my process, but Knapp outlines preventative conservation and conservation treatment processes. Preventative conservation emphasizes monitoring condition and climate, storage, and collecting information; conservation treatment includes stabilization and restoration. I am exploring preventative conservation in my inquiry project.

How do you evaluate content? What tools did you use for evaluation?
The best evaluation of content at this point begins with an open mind, and is based on logic and the number of times that concepts are repeated in varied works. For instance, several of these articles mention climate control as an important step--knowing that moisture can rust metal and warp/mildew paper, so it is logical that this is an indispensable concept. Additionally, I am using sources that are written by authorities in the field. National museums and organizations are certainly more reliable sources than members on online forums. I am checking sources for authority and citations.

I am considering charting the temperature and humidity over the next week to see how these ranges fluctuate.

2 comments:

  1. I think keeping a constant eye on the humidity especially is a good idea. The low humidity is likely due to the winter weather. You could get a humidifier for temporary use during winter.

    I like how you cited your sources. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are moving right along. Your blog looks great. Very interesting stuff. Seeing your work is giving my some ideas for mine :-) thanks!

    Very interesting reading. Looking forward to some more

    ReplyDelete